Applying for Asylum after the first year

Typically, when applying for Asylum in the USA you need to file within one year of when you arrived in the country. If you arrived in the USA with a nonimmigrant visa such as a student visa, the US government counts the beginning of the one year from the day your visa expired. If the one-year mark has come and gone, you can still apply for asylum if you show that you experienced Extraordinary Circumstances such as you were seriously ill and were unable to apply for asylum. Another example is if someone in your immediate family died near the end of the one-year window. You may also want to apply for Withholding of Removal to keep from being deported.

It is advisable to seek legal guidance from our office today as we strive to help guide you with your specific case. 

Attorney Ramona Kennedy cares about your case and will fight for you.

You can contact attorney Ramona Kennedy Law Offices (Kennedy Law LC) for an initial consultation and case evaluation. The first consultation is free of charge. 

WhatsApp, Phone +1(949)-677-0063

Email: [email protected]

Contact Us Today

Ramona Kennedy Law Offices (Kennedy Law L.C.) is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Immigration (including Criminal ) Law in California.

We offer a Free Consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.