A civics test consists of questions regarded American history and government that will be orally conducted during each naturalization interview. An English test consists of demonstrating the ability to speak, read, and write in the English language. However, there are exceptions and accommodations to who take the tests.
- English Language Exception
You may be exempt from the English language requirement portion, however, are still required to take the civics portion of the test even if qualifying under the following criteria.
- If you are 50+ years of age at the time of filing for naturalization & have lived in the United States for at least 20 years as a permanent resident (or green card holder), you are exempt from the English Language requirement.
- If you are 55+ years of age at the time of filing for naturalization & have lived in the United States for at least 15 years as a permanent resident.
- The civics test will be taken in the native language that the individual is able to understand, making it a fair way to complete this specific portion of the exam.
- All interpreters must be fluent in the relevant native language and English both.
- If you are 65+ years of age during the time of filing for naturalization & have lived in the United States as a permanent resident for at least 20 years, special consideration and accommodation will be given to you in regard to the civics test requirements.
- Medical Disability Exception
If you are unable to follow any of the given requirements of the English and civics tests requirements due to a physical or mental disability, you may qualify to be possibly except from the tests or at least given special exceptions.
It is advisable to seek legal guidance from our office today prior to beginning the process of requesting an exception as it can get quite complicated. Contact our immigration office today as we strive to help guide you with your specific case and determine whether or not this would be something that you may qualify for.
Attorney Ramona Kennedy cares about your case and will fight for you.
You can contact attorney Ramona Kennedy Law Offices (Kennedy Law LC) for an initial consultation and case evaluation. The first consultation is free of charge.
WhatsApp, Phone +1(949)-677-0063
Email: [email protected]